Proven Leadership PROGRESSIVE CONSERVATIVE PARTY OF NEWFOUNDLAND AND LABRADOR

In his own words...

Monday, October 8, 2007

Practice makes perfect

I was talking to a homeowner at the door the other day and she made a funny observation that has stuck with me.


She wanted to know if I was going to be one of those 'bobbleheads' she says she sees in the House of Assembly at times, nodding and banging their hands in enthusiastic agreement with everything that a member of their Party says but not doing much else. I assured her that I do not work that way -- I am a hard worker and I'll be a strong voice.


That's when she made the funny observation that if I could stand up to Andy Wells, I can stand up to anyone.


I don't want to inflate Andy's ego -- he is hardly the worst thing I could have to face in my career; but he is a constant critic, and he has no qualms about making his disdain known. So I do have a lot of practice in dealing with personal attacks, and in addressing challenges to my position.


And I hadn't thought of this before, but I guess I owe him one - Thanks Andy, for giving me lots of practice in dealing with opposition, I'll make good use of it!



(And as I mentioned in my earlier post on teamwork, I enjoy the interaction of working with a team but I do not blindly follow the crowd, so I am prepared to take on what needs to be done, regardless of how popular it is.)