Proven Leadership PROGRESSIVE CONSERVATIVE PARTY OF NEWFOUNDLAND AND LABRADOR

In his own words...

Monday, November 5, 2007

My resignation from City Council

The following is a copy of my speaking notes from last week when I resigned as Mayor of Mount Pearl...


Members of Council, City staff, fellow citizens, ladies and gentlemen:

I want to thank you all for joining us today for this ceremony, and I am very pleased that my fiancĂ©e, my parents, and a few of my family members and friends could be here as well. I want to acknowledge the presence of numerous leaders in our community, and in particular I want to welcome two former Mayors of our City – Harvey Hodder and Julie Bettney. I also want to extend my congratulations to another former Mayor, Dave Denine, who will be joining us later. Dave was appointed to Cabinet this morning, this is indeed great news for Mount Pearl. I also want to welcome one of my former Council colleagues, Bernice Miller. I am very pleased that you are all here today.

Effective immediately, I am resigning from my position as Mayor and vacating my seat on the Mount Pearl City Council. I know this comes as no surprise. When I announced my intention to pursue provincial politics, I made it clear that it would not be fair to serve in both elected roles. So, as I prepare to be sworn in as a Member of the House of Assembly on Thursday, the time has come to tender my resignation.

It is difficult to express just how honoured I am to have had the privilege of serving as Mount Pearl’s eighth Mayor. I have always been encouraged by the support I have received from many citizens during my ten years on Council, and I also deeply appreciate the support I have received from my Council colleagues.

Like many of you gathered here today, I truly love this community. Mount Pearl is where I grew up. This is where I’ve studied, worked and played for almost my entire life. I am very proud to call Mount Pearl home, and I am incredibly optimistic about our city’s future.

As I prepared for this evening, I reflected on my involvement with the City of Mount Pearl, and realized that I have been working with the municipality for over half my life! Beyond various volunteer involvements in the community, I signed up for a Counsellor-in-Training course with the Parks and Recreation Department at the age of fourteen. A few months later, I joined the City’s Youth Advisory Council, where I spent the next few years working with Council and staff. When I was fifteen, I accepted my first job with the City, coaching sports at the Reid Centre. I spent the next few years working for the Parks and Recreation Department, before eventually making the decision to run for Council. I’ve seen this community grow, and I have grown with it.

For six years as Deputy Mayor, and for the past four years as Mayor, I have worked hard for the betterment of our community. My promise to you today is to continue to do my best to represent and work for the citizens of the District of Mount Pearl North. I will continue to be a strong voice for the communities I have been elected to represent.

Over these past ten years, I have had the chance to work with three incredibly strong Councils and an amazing team of staff. I have learned so much from all of you, and I look forward to continuing to work with you in my new role. Thanks so much for your encouragement, confidence, and friendship.

I would like to say a few words about my Council colleagues. Randy Simms, you have taught me a great deal. I know the Mayor’s office is being left in extremely capable hands. I have every confidence that you will continue to do the City proud. Ed Grant has been a trusted advisor since my very first Council meeting ten years ago. For 22 years, you have been a great source of strength for Mount Pearl Council. Lucy Stoyles was among the first to congratulate me on my election in 1997, and has been a great friend ever since. John Walsh, who was my high school principal, signed my first nomination papers, and has provided lots of sound advice and encouragement along the way. Paul Lane, who joined our team four years ago, has become a close friend and a great supporter. Paula Tessier, the newest member of our team, has already made a positive contribution to this Council. It has been an honour to work with each of you.

I want to say a very special thank you to each and every employee of the City of Mount Pearl. The citizens of Mount Pearl enjoy high quality municipal services, and this is largely due to the efforts of the outstanding women and men who work for the City. I want to particularly thank the senior management team, most of whom are present this evening. I have great respect for each of you, and I salute your commitment to this City. It has been a great pleasure working with you, and you have taught me so much. I also want to say a very special word of thanks to Mona Lewis, our Executive Secretary, who has worked closely with me in the Mayor’s Office. Mona has made my job so much easier, and has always gone above and beyond the call of duty to support me in my role. She’s a true professional, and I consider myself very lucky to have had the opportunity to work with her.

Ladies and gentlemen, Mount Pearl is an outstanding community. We enjoy a quality of life unparalleled in the nation. There exists a strong community spirit with clean and friendly neighbourhoods. Families are offered a place to lay their roots with the comfort that their children can learn and grow in a safe environment. There are active citizens engaged with our proactive and dynamic local government. Mount Pearl's business sector offers more and better jobs with new growth. Our city is strong and independent. We are a community for all ages, offering respect and opportunities for both seniors and youth.

Our Council team has accomplished a great deal in recent years. I am pleased to report that there has not been a increase in the residential mil rate during my time as Mayor. At the same time, we have made significant investments in infrastructure and maintained quality services. The City developed a new recreation master plan, and we’ve revitalized Centennial Square. Council implemented a household curbside recycling program. We re-focused our economic development strategy, and hundreds of new jobs have been created each year. The City has improved communications with citizens, and we’ve undertaken initiatives to enhance our branding and to strengthen our identity. I have also been pleased to support the establishment of the Youth Action Team, the Citizens Crime Prevention Committee, and the Association for the Arts in Mount Pearl. Here in Mount Pearl, we certainly have a lot to be proud of.

This City is well positioned for a prosperous future. We have an experienced Council team that has always put Mount Pearl first. We have a staff team that consistently goes above and beyond the call of duty to serve the public. We have a community filled with dedicated volunteers who contribute so much to enhancing our quality of life. We have a vibrant and growing commercial sector that contributes greatly to strengthening our community. With all of these elements going for us, I am deeply committed to continuing to help build Mount Pearl’s future.

In closing, this is certainly not good-bye. I will continue to be very active in our community, and I look forward to the challenges that my new office will bring. Thank you, Mount Pearl, for the opportunity to serve as your Mayor. It was an indeed an honour, and an experience that I will always treasure.

Thank you very much.